The Rugby Europe General Assembly, which took place today by video conference, elected Octavian Morariu for the position of president at the regional governing body, and will serve in office from 2020-2024.
The representatives of the 46 active member unions have made their choice from the two candidates applying for the post.
At the end of the vote, the following results were cast:
- Octavian Morariu: 80,95% (51 votes)
- Kirill Yashenkov: 19,05 % (12 votes)
Octavian Morariu will carry out his third term as President of Rugby Europe.
Another vote to elect the representatives for the coming four-year term as members to the Board of Directors was also cast during the two day General Assembly.
- Christian DULLIN – France - Vice-President
- George NIJARADZE – Georgia - Vice-President
- Rob UDWIN – England - Vice-President
- Veronika MUEHLHOFER – Switzerland
- Jens Aage Skare NIELSEN – Denmark
- Veceslav HOLJEVAC – Croatia
- John O’DRISCOLL – Ireland
- Salvatore ZANDONA - Belgium
- Kirill YASHENKOV – Russia
- Carlos AMADO DA SILVA – Portugal
Gilbert Celli (San Marino) is re-appointed as General Secretary of the regional association.
Octavian Morariu, President of Rugby Europe: “It is a huge honour for me to be elected for a new cycle as Rugby Europe President. I would like to thank all of our unions for their support and also Kirill Yashenkov for his campaign. Along with Russia and all the other unions, we will battle to develop “Rugby for All” which I believe is necessary for the growth of our sport in the future. "